Sunday, August 10, 2008

Uncle Bubba's Oyster House... Thumbs Down

So I have to say, being from New Orleans is a bit of a curse. You see I expect to be wowed or least surprised when I go out to eat. Almost always I'm let down... Unless I'm in New Orleans... which I am not.

Anyhow we thought we'd give Paula Dean's brother, Uncle Bubba's Oyster House a try. Well it was pretty bad. Every oyster I try in Georgia is gritty, and Bubba's was no exception. I thought that since they say they like their oysters from New Orleans, they'd be good, but alas I was wrong again. I had the shrimp and grits, which there really was not much shrimp in, and I thought if anyone can make shrimp and grits, it would be Bubba and Paula.... No, they had a oniony, bacony kind of grits, but not very good grits.

If anybody wants some good shrimp and grits, and happens to be in the Upstate, try Billy D's (Spartanburg). They have it by far better than anybody else I've tried. Cheap too, comparatively ask for David, he'll keep the drinks coming, and you won't have to wait for a thing... (if he's still there). Their beer was ok, and the desert was pretty good, but otherwise, I'd have been better off with a fast food burger.

So as suspected, it is just a place to visit so you can say you visited... not actually go to eat something divine. No amount of butter or bacon, could fix Bubba's. Sorry Paula.

3 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

Never could figure out what the rave was about Paula Deen anyway. I ate at her restaurant - once. That was all it took. Bland, boring, run-of-the-mill food without any flavor, gloppy and overcooked for the most part. And if Mom taught both her and her brother to cook, well, that sorta killed the idea of going to his restaurant too.

You are sure right about New Orleans cooking, though! Seems like every little hole-in-the-wall restaurant there has an incredible specialty that is rich, flavorful, and dance-in-your-mouth delectable. And they aren't shy about putting in the seafood!

An old friend of mine, who used to own restaurants in FL, says that most serve oysters on the East Coast are brought in, in bulk, from Maine. That is why they are small, tasteless and gritty. He always ordered his from the Gulf Coast; more expensive but big and fat, clean and juicy. Hell, even oysters scraped off of the SC/GA coast are bigger than the ones from Maine! But money - and a consistent availability - is a big consideration...

Now you have me hankerin for a big bowl of turtle soup from Two Sisters, damn you. :-))

Anonymous said...

I believe it is you that doesn't know a good oyster from a bad one. Uncle Bubba's roasted oysters are the best ever. Never had a gritty one anytime we have had them. Since I am a gourmet cook, I have met many people who have knowledge of gourmet food or franchise food. So many people rave about some of the franchises which proves taste is in the mouth of the beholder.

Mad Hatter said...

I don't know "Anonymous" but I do know Oysters, and I always get gritty ones in GA. Best Ever????!! Please, if you really are a gourmet cook, which means what? I think I am a gourmet cook too. It's really hard to mess an oyster up, and Uncle Bubba's is up to that task.

Being from New Orleans is a curse, because nothing will ever live up to how good it was in New Orleans.