Monday, August 25, 2008

Got Media?

I read something the other day about the media, and how we are better off (or not) by having this kind of 24/7 news cycle. I think it's probably closer to not simply because I don't think my life is better with it. Sure I can watch or read whatever I want, and I do but just the other day I was getting a hair cut, and the TV was tuned in to MSNBC and they had some lady spouting off how Barack Obama was good and how John McCain was evil. And this is news? I don't think either candidate is very good, but I wouldn't put somebody who basically is a supporter on TV. Or at least put two opposing views instead of just one. And I'm sure it happened on the right side too.

I know we have a right to know any and everything in our world, but what do you do when you get so many different views you just say "fuck it" and don't listen to any of them? I've taken nightly news out of my programing, really for the most part any and all news. And I'm no worse off for it. The newspapers around here... well I've already taken them to task and really they haven't talked back. Now I understand that this is a small town, but there could be so much better reporting. So what to do?

I think this is wear I get in my sail boat or get away to the mountains and never look back. Of course I still have 20-30 years until retirement so that's how much longer I'm going to be stuck listening to all of that partisan, space-brained, bullshit. I wish somebody would really take a deep breath, try to do what is right and all that jazz. But I can't see it.

2 comments:

"P. B." said...

As a news junkie, and like all addictions this one snuck up on me, I am starved for real news on tv. Most of what I see is gossip, not news. I keep asking why I should value any of the opinions offered by someone who is just there to keep the screen from being blank.

One thing that works for me is to listen to NPR and then google the topic to get more information. Lately I've been watching the Beaufort County channel and thinking I should watch CSPAN more often.

Maybe you're right, MH. Maybe I should just kick the whole dang habit and get all my news/gossip from The View. :>)

WileyCoyote said...

I used to scan through 40 newspapers a day, scanning them with my morning 2 cups of coffee. Great Britain, Russian, German, and American newspapers - seeing what was going on, how it would affect my stocks, my politics, my life; who was doing what in CA, VA, VT, WA, NY, and DC.

Now I just get my weekly county paper here, and am perfectly happy to let the gossips run their little circles around each other; like children in a day care, or monkeys in a zoo, each one trying to prove to the others who can fling the most poo.