Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trying to Fit In

I have to take the side of fast food restaurants here. I mean how many of us look at what our kids eat outside of a restaurant? Calculate it up, and come to some kind of number? It's just crazy. The underlying drama is, that if you eat vegetarian diet, then that's about the only way you'll come out ahead. Otherwise, all bets are off. Articles here and here.

I'm not saying we should let the restaurants off the hook, but I can see why some don't even have the nutrition information. Why have it, if groups will only hammer you for it later when you do provide it? But anyway does anybody add up their meals daily? I don't and I'm supposed to, sorta'. Carb count anyway, to know how much insulin I need. I count, but I never add up all day, just individual meals.

Is mom's meat loaf, mashed potatoes, rolls, and peas any better for you than a happy meal? I doubt it, but nobody is checking that. How could we? Instead we get these scare stories about fast food, because they have the information available. But before we harp to much on them, we really need to know what we put in our body at home. If you're just eating lettuce and drinking water that's one thing, but I think as a whole it's a lot different than that, and as always instead of looking in the mirror and taking responsibility, it's easier to just blame some corporate entity. Yeah stick it to the man... whatever

1 comment:

WileyCoyote said...

Hear, Hear, MH!

I like to eat foods with additives that I can pronounce.

Had a really good friend counsel me on eating habits. He governs his by a book he read on blood types. No, not A or AB - hereditary eating habits. So - I'm Irish, which means mostly pork, black bread, and taters. For someone of primarily German ancestry, they should be eating noodles, brats, and cabbage. You eat depending on what your ancestry grew to eat, by dint of their location in the world. While of course there is some crossover, the hereditary chemical makeup of one's own body should dictate one's intake to stay healthy. I found it amazing and it seems to be true - the more I eat of Irish-originated foods, the less stomach problems I have. When I eat the stuff my body is not attuned to, I have problems. Corn, for example, is no longer on my menu...

While everyone stuggles to figure out what is good and bad for them, told by all sorts of physicians' and authorities' contradictory evidence and opinions, all I can say about fast foods is that ANYTHING that overprocessed simply CAN'T be that good for you. So- stop eating it. Why sue someone for a personal choice? Because that is what it boils down to - personal choice.