Friday, August 8, 2008

Classic Film Friday: Bambi

Ok I've been waiting for this for some time, my wife to actually write or blog something. Well I finally got my wish, The following is her review...

By: Mrs. Madhatter

Ok, so believe it or not, I am a 36 year old female who has never seen Bambi. So, what do I do about it? I do what most people do when faced with this sort of issue. I live vicariously through my child.

Bambi starts off as a wonderful flick for my 2 year old daughter. Animals are frolicking in the forest. A new life enters the world and it’s Bambi.

The story continues as Bambi goes through many trials in his young life most of which seemed to be at the hand of MAN. The movie continued to be fairly dark and deep for a toddler. I know it is a classic and a much beloved one, but I think had I already seen it, I would’ve saved it for a much later time in our daughter’s life. There were many undertones about Man the hunter and Man the forest-fire starter. Now, I am usually the one to slam on the brakes for a crossing squirrel with the reasoning that “we put this road in the middle of his home.” But, even for me, the message was a little too strong in Bambi.

There was one funny—or should I say comical--- part of the movie for me. Since I had never seen the flick, I had no idea that the term my husband so very often uses “twidderpated” originated with Bambi. But, come springtime in the movie, all of those cute animals sure were twidderpated right there on the Disney screen.

One other thing disturbed me. There was a trailer for Bambi 2 before the movie began and it doesn’t seem to match up at all with the way the original ended.

1 comment:

"P. B." said...

Hi, Mrs. MH! :>) Well, if you're going to have a dog named Thumper you have to see Bambi. I don't remember how old I was when I first saw it, but I was pretty little when it was released. It's all mixed up in my head though with the Little Golden book and later discussions, so I don't remember being traumatized per se.

Of course, at that time when we went to the movies there were always news films of kamikaze pilots and explosions war and so many scary things that the specter of hunters and fire and death of one's mother probably just mixed into our subconscious with everything else. I'm thinking of the terrifying fairy tales and even of a book my family memorized and recited while we walked back and forth to the Ration Board (seriously): The Story of Horace, which was about a bear that was taken into a family as a pet and ended up eating everyone.

Oh! I just happened to think that Dick Cheney, the hunter, and I are about the same age. For whatever that means. :>)