Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Grown-up Bully

Mrs. MH here... I just had to write about something that just happened to me at Target. There was this woman....who I already encountered twice in my short 5 minute trip through the store. You know the type, loud enough not to notice. Might I add, with an outfit even louder. So, I immediately recognized her as she cut me off to get in front of me in the Express-10-items or less lane. I'm sure this has happened to you....you both kind of get there at the same time and to be polite you sort of step aside. Not this lady, she stepped right in front of me as if I didn't exist. Mind you, her teenage daughter is 20 feet behind both of us and follows in behind me exhibiting more manners than her mother.

So, in an awkward move, her mom then motions for her to come around me and that's when I notice that she has a cart full of stuff. CLEARLY more than 10. I mean, not even close! So, already irritated from being cut off, I say in a sweet voice, "This is the express lane"---most everyone I know would say they were proud of me since I'm not one to speak up for myself. So she says, "You can go ahead of me." and then pauses long enough for me to say "thank you" and adds in a very snotty voice "If it's that much trouble." I responded "I am in a hurry" and she bites back with "So are we." My heart races and I hold back knowing that this is ridiculous and not worthy of being upset over.

I didn't care about waiting an extra 3 minutes in line....even though my husband had just called and said the baby was crying for me. Three minutes is just three minutes. I just didn't want to be the wimp....run over by this obvious grown-up bully with helmet hair and a shopping list the size of Vegas. As I walked out of the store, I FELT bullied. I couldn't help but think of the kids who endure that kind of treatment from other kids all the time. I hadn't felt that bullied feeling in years....probably 20 or so. The whole experience, although minor, reminded me what adolescents just might be going through. So, thank you evil woman...I hope you enjoyed your shopping experience in the Lowcountry!

3 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

Good for you, Mrs MH - she deserved to wait!

I can imagine how her daughter felt - imagine living every day with that. At least her daughter was polite; probably eternally embarrassed by her arrogant and rude mother. Some kids grow up thinking that those sorts of parental 'teachings' are acceptable. And the cycle continues...

"P. B." said...

Oh, Mrs MH, please, please, please tell me that you didn't detect a sweet NY/NJ accent when this bitch spoke? I hate to say it, but I'm seeing an increase in anti-social adult behavior that is at about the same rate as the influx of people with whom I grew up. Yes, I love them, but they can be pushy. Not me, of course. I am a SLUT (Southern Lady Under Tremendouspressure) and have a pillow to prove it. :>)

Horrible behavior no matter where the woman came from. And good for you for speaking up for yourself!

Mad Hatter said...

You know, I probably wouldn't have said anything, blog about it maybe, but said anything directly to her... No. I guess that's the Southern Boy in me.