Thursday, July 31, 2008

Viruses, Dinner, and a Good Night Kiss

Ok, so we are near the end of a cold/virus exposure. My daughter had it first, then I kind of caught it, but not really, and then my wife got it bad. She's been laying down, lots of fluids, vitamin C, that kind of thing. Which has made me in charge. Pre-stroke I probably did 80-90% of the cooking. Now, not so much. The getting things together, more than one pot boiling, and I don't trust my taste buds anyway.

Well I had to try, because we had to eat. It came out only so-so... I think the chicken was not spoiled, but it was in the freezer for a year. I think that's only supposed to be 3 months max. Anyhow we'll probably do something different next time or maybe we will cook, I don't know.

I also had to put my daughter to bed... Something she really likes mommy to do. She trudged up the steps, crying, in fact she was wailing all the way into the bathroom. This is where I really thought I'd lose it, because last time I tried to give her a bath she went running downstairs to mommy. To my surprise she didn't repeat and she actually settled down. I let her play in the tub, that probably helped and finished her bath.

Now we went into her room, got some clothes on and brushed her hair (later I found out that I'm really not supposed to brush her hair, but she let me anyway). I said, "why don't we go downstairs and give mommy a kiss?" and she was all about that. We went back up the stairs, she told her mommy that she loved her and we read Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What do You See? and Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You See? and she points to the words on the page... I'd like to say she is reading, `cuz she knew all the words, but there's a word for that in education, and that's what it is. Still she is well on her way.

Next we sing songs, because this is all part of her routine. I can't really sing, but I did my best, and besides I don't think she knows a singer from a non-singer right? We sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, ABC's, and Row, Row, Row Your Boat, her choice of course, and then she got in the bed.

All this time, since we said it was bedtime, I thought I was making in-roads with her, but really she was tightening her grip on me. I kissed her good night and stayed a bit longer and finally got out of there. My wife does this everyday, seriously I don't know how.

No comments: