Friday, July 4, 2008

Classic Film Friday: Bringing Up Baby

Cary Grant stars as a victim of circumstance and unwitting paleontologist Dr. David Huxley in this very much of a screw ball comedy. Every victim must have a predator, and that roll goes to Katharine Hepburn as Susan Vance. Essentially Dr. Huxley is to play golf with a man who will be responsible for a million dollar donation to his museum. When Huxley veers off the golf course to retrieve his ball, he finds Susan Vance hitting his ball, and thus the two are pretty much inseparable from that point, even though Huxley is to get married the next day.

From there it gets crazy, Susan's brother sends her a leopard from Brazil (yes I know jaguars would have been from south America, but anyway). Susan trick's Huxley into helping her get the leopard to Connecticut, and then the story goes ape shit.

I would definitely recommend this movie for a classics virgin, or anybody else really. Katherine Hepburn is one of my secret love affairs, and Cary Grant plays along so well. Don't miss this 1938 Gem! Below I included two YouTube clips of the movie, the first of which the word "GAY" is apparently used to mean what it means today.



2 comments:

Bob G. said...

Although I find this a very enjoyable movie...I "really" had my heart set on you doing a revue for a more "patriotic" film...this being the 4th and all.

:(

B.G.
(s'ok...you can owe it to me...lol)

Mad Hatter said...

I thought about that. But I also thought about what do people like to do, and what can I subject my wife too. lol

Maybe I'll do an old wartime flick soon.