Thursday, July 10, 2008

Microwavez

It floors me as to how much we rely on modern conveniences. Enter day #3 of no microwave. It went with no warning, no ball of blue flame, no explosions, no nothing. I think it is just a fuse, but I can't confirm that. I took it some what apart... I have one of those over-the-range microwaves complete with exhaust fan and lights... The unit is just out of warranty. Anyway I took it apart, did some preliminary troubleshooting, couldn't find anything wrong.

At our old house, my daughter put some aluminum foil in the microwave. That did have some explosive effects/blue flame. And it still worked after the fact. This one? It just acts like I unplugged it. which leads me to believe it's a fuse, or power supply issue.

The wife tried calling Centex and the guy knew less than me. Any microwave repairmen out there?

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

Been a while since I woprked w/ microwaves (think RADAR...same principle), but...

If the fan & light still work, problem is in the microwave unit itself (yeah, I know...DUH).
Some systems ARE inter-connected. Just wanted to be sure.

Most likely fault is in the magnatron (m/w emitter), and that would have to be swapped out, but again, without doing a voltage check w/ a meter, I can only ballpark it.
Some units (can't recall which manufacturers) used to have fuses internally that would blow.
Swap THAT out, and the magnatron might come back online and then and you're good to go.
That was a decade ago, and maybe they've changed up the "innerds" since then.

Last but not least, the keypad (wafer switches) could have worn out - swap out the keypad (need meter to test that too).

Hope that helps a little.

Just be thankful you didn't have to run a new romex line and replace the outdoor security floods like we did this past week when some mouse decided that our electrical line was tastier than all get-out...LOL.

Happy Troubleshooting...and keep us apprised of that happens.

B.G.