Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Disney World

The trip out here was for the most part, uneventful. There were plenty of idiot drivers out there; I wasn’t driving, so I wasn’t one of them. Like I’ve said previously you could tack on another 5 or 10 bucks to the price of gas, they’d still be drag racing down the interstate. There are more idiots when we get to the parks, but for now I’ll leave them alone.

My daughter is working on a 3 day no making a number 2, yeah I know that’s probably to much information but it provides a bit of background as to why/how we reacted to her saying she felt the need to go (which was several times and we of course pull over and all that stuff) So my wife being my wife, she packed her potty and suggested I get it out and she could go while we’re still moving. Well I did just that… and still nothing, but we’re here anyway.

1st day Magic Kingdom (also 4th of July)



That morning it was pretty nice, didn’t have to wait long for the rides/ wasn’t too crowded. How that all changed as the day went on. We rode Dumbo and Pooh and took a flight on Peter Pan. We went on It’s a Small World, the carousel, and even managed to snap a few pictures of my namesake’s ride. My little one can only go so far however, and so we went home to rest up for the fireworks later that night.


When we came back it was completely opposite, I guess everyone was staying home in the morning in preparation of the night’s festivities. We only got to see one show, the Monsters Inc. one and grab a bite to eat, otherwise it was gridlock. And all the tomfooleries and stupidness was making itself known. I’ll just say that generally speaking, we’re all at this same place for the same reasons. Nobody is getting a kidney or they’re eyesight back for riding on Space Mountain, maybe just a tad more politeness is in order. And I mean it was packed, and it really didn’t get any better. The fireworks were awesome, I mean how many times does one get to go to Disney on the 4th of July? At least that’s what I kept telling myself. But as usual, especially when they have that many people in one spot, someone or something has to mess it up.

Enter the kid who has to make a fashion statement by wearing a winter time hat on the 4th of July. Again we’re all here for pretty much the same reason so a little courtesy goes a way. But this boy and his 600 pound girlfriend can’t be bothered with all that. They need to cut me off and by doing so make me swerve the stroller, upset my kid, spill something, just to stop in front of me to take a picture….AAAARRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!



Dumb-Asses, a whole lot of Dumb-Asses. But I knew that going in, I just got spoiled by the morning. I counted and I breathed, just like I had to 50 or more times since after lunch. In the picture above we are looking out of the front of the castle, every part is full, literally. My wife did give Mr. Winter hat in the summer a flat for his troubles… A part of my wife I didn’t even know about! I do love her, that’s for sure.

We finally made it back to the hotel and nothing too much happened. I do have a weird thing going in with my blood sugars that is unexplainable. My blood sugars would pretty much be fine breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but for some reason my bedtime blood sugar would be 300 or more. I don’t know why, I haven’t eaten anything “bad” but still.

Day 2, Animal Kingdom

This was basically a zoo, I mean there are lots of animals and you walk around, hence a zoo. It’s “Disneytised” if you know what I mean, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing but you know… when you’ve had enough, you've had enough. It was not quite so many people as the day before, but there was still enough ahem, functionally incompetent people? Yeah. Saw some animals caught some shows, the Bug’s Life one was pretty cool, but it did scare the bejesus out of my 2-year-old. So we ended there, pretty much. We went back to the hotel, swam a bit and then passed out on the bed.

Day 3, Checking Out/Going Home



Let me say first that I was unwilling to pay the 10 bux for internet access for 24 hours, and really I probably wouldn’t even use it, I’m just too tired. There's too much to do, and really for the money you're spending on you're trip, why bog it down with regular stuff? We went to downtown Disney to do some shopping for all the people we needed to do shopping for. Lord have mercy, a whole area for shopping my oh my. The Lego store was pretty cool, the toy store too, but now we're really tired, and have a 5 hour drive ahead of us, it was time to go.

The trip back was ok, that is until we got to Georgia, and the rain started, and people (being people) started doing whatever it is they do to cause congestion, and our 5 hour trip became 7. Ah idiots!


Some things I noticed but as this is already a long, long post I'll just bulletize them.

  • A lot of foreigners there. I wonder if our weak dollar has anything to do with that? I would have asked, but for whatever reason I didn't.
  • Eating anywhere sucked, maybe because we made plans so last minute, but the general places really, really were not that good.
  • We probably would have had a 100% better time if we would have brought along somebody to share the child rearing duties with. We couldn't go on any roller coasters or anything.
  • Ron Jon's Surf Shop, WTF?!?!
  • If you're going to go, bring money, lots and lots of it, also invest in a good pair of shoes
  • Little kids can go to the "Bibbity Bobbity Boutique" and for somewhere around $100 dollars or so, get dressed up like a princess, make-up, hair, the dress, the whole 9. Two schools of thought on this, one is the little girl is getting to live out her fantasy, or two the mom or dad is living out their fantasy through their child. I'm going with the latter, my kids are busy being kids. I don't need to dress up my kid (like a cheap whore) and parade her around for everyone to see. Not to mention those hot dresses, it must be stifling in them. My opinion though, yours might be different.

Things I wish I did
  • Rode Space Mountain. just to see if Ric Flair's old saying is true.
  • I wish I had the "Disney Magic" that my wife talks about. Instead, I just think to myself "this is stupid" but you never know.
  • I wish I had more time, I would have loved to go to a water park.
  • Stayed in a nicer hotel, that was connected by monorail. The buses were ok, but you waste a lot of your day waiting for and traveling with them
  • Brought more money (really like found some or won lotto) lol

Things I did do

  • Make my wife and daughter happy
  • See some things I never saw before
  • Enjoyed myself, yes even though there were idiots and crowds and the gas prices and the food was crappy, we still had fun, and that is what a vacation is supposed to be, just having fun.

3 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

Just glad you survived.

WTF is up with that whole boutique thing? My daughter would have kicked me in the shins if I even TRIED to put her in one of those chairs... either when she was younger or now at 25!

Yeah, I read a report a couple a weeks ago about the foreigners coming here in droves because the dollar was soo pathetic. The Badlands were full of them, too.

Southern Focus Designs said...

Yeap...there are a ton of idiots...and getting a bit of pixie dust while there really helps! It is best to sort of try to forget that you are a grown up and try to see it through the eyes of your kids....otherwise you just want to scream! LOL

Glad that you had a good time.

Mad Hatter said...

WC i have no idea, but honestly besides foreigners, the next biggest population was rednecks... you know, more tattoos than teeth kind of people. And that's who we saw taking their kids to the boutique.

SF I don't know if I can do it, too many things pissing me off... unless by pixie you mean some form of illegal drug... it might work! :o)