Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dreams

I'm in a mood to make something happen. It doesn't come around often, and really I probably won't do anything anyway, but it is nice to dream...

I've been wanting, since forever, a backyard with pavers, a bar, maybe since this is a dream a pool. How ready and willing am I wanting to get this started? Well, it boils down to money really. Just a few years ago I didn't even see myself in the position I'm in. Hell before the baby was born, we were hemming and hawing over a $200 rocking chair. Not so much now. The relativeness of wherever you are really stands out in things like this, and the case can be made that what ever you have, you will always want more.

I don't like that particular aspect, but it's true... I think. Could you be happier with a pool? I'm not talking about the maintenance or chemicals, just would you be happier with a pool? would you have people over if you had a pool? Would you feel that you "have arrived" if you had a pool? I know I did when I got my big screen TV, some 7-8 years ago... now I want a plasma or LCD. So there really isn't anything I can do about it is there? There will always be... something.

2 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

I had a pool. Nice big thing, even tho it was an above-ground, an circular. Had friends over for pool parites, had lots of fun! The kids and we enjoyed it very much (soda sinks, beer floats - we sent the kids diving) , played Marco Polo endless nights, "whirlpool", even "dump the sleeping Dad off the float". But then...

No one wanted to clean it. When it was the slightest bit green, no one wanted to swim in it. Then of course there were the neighbors - one of whom dropped her two small children off at 7 AM and left town for the day to go to Savannah shopping - without asking anyone!!!

Yes, pools are great - as long as you don't have jealous neighbors who trash your pool when you tell them it isn't theirs for the using.

I'd get a deck and a jacuzzi - nice and small, you can leave the heat off if you like, and it's easier to wall or fence off a small deck away from prying people. Plus you can appreciate it even in winter!!!

"P. B." said...

I have a small pool. So small it has even been called "cute", as in "I like your cute little pool". I love it, and I use it almost every day and a lot of nights. To float around staring at the sky is a great way to end the day. But, like you, MH I've been thinking about pavers and a whole outdoor kitchen kind of situation, and even though I got an estimate for stamped concrete last year, I haven't done anything. It's not about the money. It's about the aggravation that has been part of every home improvement job I've had done, including said pool. (Aqua Who?) But those late night swims, and those quick plunges when you're all hot and sweaty from doing something productive really help you to forget the aggravation. I don't know how people got through menopause before late night swims. :>)

I also have a cute little LCD, and there I think I should have gone bigger. You're right. It's always something.