Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A History Lesson...

...of sorts. Basically the birth of Mad Hatter, and of this blog.

I first started out as a much different creature, but through a course of events, not all controlled by me I have changed. It began as me posting as myself, then my pet, but those things were too easily identifiable and I had some not so nice things to say about the school, etc. So the creation of a totally unrelated blog persona, the Mad Hatter, was necessary. People say if you want people to take you serious you post your name... well those people aint me.

First of all the blog we're talking about is The Bluffton Today, and it really isn't a blog rather a message board. I actually own a blog that predates this one, by almost 9 years, but in it I've only given about 10 people access to it. The BT site nothing at all like that, but still rather than argue about it, I'll leave it alone.

Next we have the weirdo factor. That is the amount of people who would talk to me as if I knew them all their life... or in the case of my particular pet, felt a need to personally connect with him/her... I'm not telling you what the sex is because people are strange. I got some rather peculiar notes left on my car as well.

Then there was the policy holders there at the paper. They could do whatever, whenever, however. You didn't control anything put up there. In fact they even went so far as to manipulate what you said or how it was to be presented. This is where the name poolpooping came from, because one of the editors said we were pooping or peeing in his pool, because they went through all the trouble to create this site, we better appreciate it... so says him.

My argument all along is that you can't really say what you want to and there isn't any control over what goes into your blog then all its worth is what I call fluffy, those nice conversations you have with grandma or basically something pleasant to talk about, nothing controversial. And so the poolpooping blog came to its existence, because I did want to control what I said and what I thought and how I have for the most part outgrown the small daily (and free) paper anyway. I won't say I don't miss some people there, because I do, but in a lot of cases most of those people have moved on to brighter pastures anyway. The idea was a great one, to take citizen journalism to the next level, however in reality what we got is a mixed bag at best, and certainly not worthy of anything other than the fluff moniker its been given.

So you see I didn't even really want all this, but this is what I got. I aimed to start a blogroll of people around here but unfortunately most of them are too lazy to start up their own blog (or post regularly in it). They would rather have the audience built in that the paper brings, regardless of the fact that they'll change what you write, or post something you say in the paper, or somehow become a poolpooper. That is just a brief overview, really but it gives you a basis of who and what I am all about, pretty much... Well sorta, we're all much deeper than that, but you get the idea.

No comments: