Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday Blues

Oh Monday, how I hate you so... It seems I dislike it even more when the wife is out for break. It throws my whole routine off. Anyway I don't have much to talk about so I thought I'd share one of my favorite dishes growing up. It involves hard boiled eggs, which you should have a plenty right now.

1 tablespoon of butter (you can go nuts with bacon fat too) per person
1 tablespoon of flour per person
Just over half a cup of milk per person, I used 3 cups when I made mine, and I have 4 people
some use 2 1/2... it really just depends on what consistency you want.
2 hard boiled eggs per person.
salt and pepper to taste

Basically we are going to melt the butter and stir or whisk in the flour in a frying pan. There are some that swear by the ability of black iron, and it is nice, but you don't need it. So you get your butter and flour to make a rue and you pour in the milk. I leave my flour and milk out, just in case I need it to thicken or water it down. I find a nice consistency and I then take hard boiled eggs (just the whites) and dump them in (chopped up). I then salt and pepper to taste and I grate the yellows down to use later.

The original recipe calls for toast, but I like it on a biscuit too, you get a good scoop on each piece of bread/biscuit half and then sprinkle the egg yolks on. You can use this same gravy with sausage (instead of egg whites) or go completely nuts and do both. Now you have another something you can do with all them Easter eggs, not just egg salad. I spent many a Saturday morning watching Super Friends eating this... in fact I dare say one of my cherished memories.

No comments: