Friday, March 21, 2008

Painkillers, Money Grabbers, and Push-Ups

While I was at the doctor’s… getting my scripts for muscle relaxers and prednisone, my wife read to me the time magazine article about pay for performance for educators. At first I thought this was a great idea, then I started thinking more about it. This is the link. I think if pay is given according to a teacher’s skill level then great, but what about friends of friends, or basically the dead weight? I think that’s part of the problem with Beaufort County, that and to many chiefs not enough Indians.

Or what about teachers that may not be liked as much as another, and is left out of the progress? He/She may be a great teacher, but isn’t connected with the right people at the district. Hard to say. But one thing that isn’t hard to notice is the corruption. Just one school board meeting will tell you that. Anyway it’s something to think about.

Back to my prescriptions, why is it that growing up if a person got painkillers or what not... they’d claim it was the bomb, while when I get them all it does is make me sick or sleepy? Am I getting the wrong stuff? I’m just wondering because I don’t feel a thing with mine. I need the magic pill.

Hey it's Friday, and my old drill sergeant used to tell me, in 15-30 degree weather in Colorado, usually doing push-ups at dawn, "It's Friday, don't fuck it up." I'm not really sure what he meant by it, but it seems good advice to take. After all, this was a man who after running (not driving) all the way up to Pike's Peak and then asserted that he saw god. I think I would too.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MH:
What your D.I. meant was that HE was glad the weekend had arrived and he didn't have to "babysit momma's little maggots" for about 72 hrs!
Ah, yes, we remember it well...LOL!
(not too fondly, but often)

Have a blessed Easter weekend and take care.

B.G.