Thursday, December 25, 2008

Better Off.... Right?

Just a side note... the event didn't happen on Christmas, I'm posting this in advance, because life is crazy. So don't think I'm crazy or whatever because I posted this on Christmas... I'm crazy, just not like that. So with that enjoy a bit of my misery before the holidays on the holiday...

So why is it that when all children are trying to be good, and trying not to be naughty or EVIL, my kid, my oldest, instead tries to push everyone's buttons and we want to take all her Christmas presents, and basically... kill her?

I am trying to remain calm and keep in mind that she is a teenager, and they have certain issues to deal with. I also have the "broken home" issue to handle as well, but honestly the kid in mind anyway, has the absolute best bargain that I could possibly imagine.

Go back to 2004. I was living at the Suburban Lodge. My daughter and I had Christmas in a hotel room. Not a nice comfy room, and there was the added burnt smell that permeated everything, because my daughter read the conventional oven directions... only she was using a microwave. Basically, it was less than ideal. I had just moved here, knew nobody, pretty much just me and her.

I had presents and a "Charlie Brown" Christmas tree, so we were not completely out in the cold. But compare that to what we have now. A 2000+ sqft home, our health, two more people, and many other things... we are a lot better off.

So again I ask, why does she make me have to kill her? I know, I know, I can't really kill her... no place to hide the body. I'm kidding but it is frustrating when we have so much to be happy and thankful for, that we're stuck on stupid. I don't know, but my child successfully completing middle and high school is going to take a lot of my time.

1 comment:

WileyCoyote said...

Try not to kill her over the holidays. The prosecution will use it against you and you'll get a stiffer sentence - even if parents of teenagers are on the jury.

Look, kids NEVER appreciate how far they've come until later... much later... if at all.

We had Christmases that were so poor the kids barely got anything but clothes. As things got better, they did not appreciate the things they got, or how much money was spent - all they knew was that their friends got more, bigger, and better. Yawn. I told them to go live with their friends. They wouldn't.

Now I've got two kids who think that their dad and I were the greatest gift they could ever have, and love us and worry about us and treat us like gold - and one kid who, in his 30's, STILL thinks I am evil and wants his dad to divorce me. The funny part is that DH is a stepdad to two of them (altho he never brings it up, and neither do they, he adopted them.) I'm their REAL mom, dangit! LOL

It all passes... and soon it doesn't matter anyway.