Monday, December 15, 2008

The Whole Car Debacle

Ok so 1st off I'm not a car guy, nor do me and my family come from "car states" but still I do think it's kind of funny, this whole car bailout fiasco. I can see where these people are coming from, but I don't know if they can see from where anybody else is standing.

My initial response is along the lines of "no" simply because of the way I feel. There are lots of people who are not going to get anything (like me) from this or the other bailouts, so my opinion is of course negative. Now I know this seems odd, but my father has been laid off many times from the oil and shipyards and even from the government job he had at the ammo plant. It's a way of life for us, you get laid off you take time off, you get another job.

But then I think of all the support companies that will likely go bankrupt along with the big 3. And then again, I look at the previous bailout, that pretty much got me a big fat goose egg. What do I conclude? I think nothing.

Soon after the first bailout failed (the 700 billion one) there was all this talk of doom and gloom and the coming apocalypse. Then they made concessions, and voila we had a bailout, and then what? A bunch of nothing. If the car companies would have been first, instead of the finance companies... I might feel differently.

Then again they are only asking for a "loan". I mean we'll make out ok right? But I can't get a loan, so it makes me wonder. Is big business the only thing that the politicos can save anymore?

1 comment:

Aunt Bea said...

Interesting topic - the support companies going bankrupt.

The support companies couldn't see where the Big Three were heading, and make plans for it, diversify, not put all their eggs in one GM or Ford basket?

Like all the folks who went with the 'easy' loans, and who are not getting any more help with their overdue mortgages than they were previously - but the banks are doing ok, TYVM?

Does anyone really think that the Big Three are going to use their money to bail out and succor their support companies - or will they keep it to themselves, within their own circle, so that while THEY don't go bankrupt, those other smaller businesses still will? Hands?

Horse Hockey. It is a typical liberal ruse ("But we must save the poor people!") to put public money in private pockets - money that the "poor people" will eventually have to cough up to pay for it.

No one's offered to help me with MY mortgage yet, and I bet no one has offered to help pay yours, either. The bank hasn't called me and said, "Guess what! The FedGov paid off/paid down your loan!" Because it isn't going to happen... But at least I'm smart enough to know better.