Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Gag Gifts

So me and my maternal side of the family have this thing going, the last couple of years not so much with the economy the way it is, but I started it all off with the giving of gag gifts to what I thought were some ungrateful kids. And that first year one kid said she hated me, another said she wishes I were dead, and another never wanted to spend Christmas with me again.

Some 12 or 13 years later, they've come to love it, and I have even got some doozies from them too. It's not the money, or even what you got, it's the laughs at whatever ridiculous item given to them and their reaction to said item. My mother and I simply love it.

I admit, I've not done it too much in the last couple of years, but I think I have brought it back this year. And for less than $20 for 4 people. I won't get to see them, but my mom will and she needs a laugh, like anyone else. So in the mix of junk I'm giving my siblings I'm also giving my mother the gift of laughter, and that will last so much longer than anything else.

And now my wife is getting in on the action. She talked to her brother and suggested that we exchange gag gifts with him too. Because really, what would you rather a $50 gift you can't use or a $5 dollar gift that you will likely laugh at? It seems for us that the answer is the latter.

No comments: