Thursday, December 11, 2008

What Should I Do?

We went to go see The Polar Express at the movies the other day. I had reservations about it, because we could just as easily see it at home, but the wife wanted to see it in all it's glory, and she thought the kids would enjoy it too. So we went... though I could have been watching football, or playing some kind of electronic game, or simply sleeping I went along too.

We got a spot close to the top, which I think is preferred, at my local theater anyway. There was two women and a boy up there as well. No big deal right? It's a movie, there is bound to be more than one person going. Then we hear it. It sounds like a moan. My youngest daughter said it was a dolphin. I'm not sure why, I think it sounded more like young Frankenstein, but anyway. It did not stop, I looked up and the two women were talking as if everything was normal. Then the movie started.

We experienced the noise again, and again and again. Now I know that this kid was obviously retarded and he didn't know better or whatever, but there comes a time when somebody says something. Well actually, I just kind of moaned, like young Frankenstein myself, repeatedly... like maybe 1/2 of what we were receiving. And that according to the wife, was wrong.

What say you? Do you think after 20 or so minutes they should have left, or can they stay and watch the movie in it's entirety and subject us all to the moaning? I know, I know, if I say you can't bring the kid out and about then he'll never get to do anything. But what about the rest of us... who paid money to see and hear the movie... without the moan factor. What do you do when life hands you those situations?

1 comment:

Aunt Bea said...

Ahem. The term is "developmentally disabled".

That said, I have dealt with these types of children professionally (I do right now) and the parents almost always firmly believe that their child should have access to all the things that other children do, even if it imposes on other peoples' rights to do the same. We are going thru the same situation right now, as a young DD girl who is physically unable insists on being on the basketball team. (There is no competition/elimination procedure - everyone plays who signs up.) She cannot play adequately, frequently collapses on the floor, and has to have her own paid aide after school and for the trips to ensure her safety. Yet the parents and the government systems insist that she has the right to participate. I too wonder where one draws the line; between what 'everyone deserves' and what everyone else's rights are - including the team members who instead of concentrating on their own improvement and play, must make constant allowances for hers. Being "fair" to one individual over being 'fair' to other individuals somehow to me isn't "fair" at all. But it is governmaentally decreed, so of course the parents feel it is their right for everyone else to put up with their kids - just like we can't say a word to the parents of the rampant little animals at the mall or at the nice restaurant.