Thursday, December 18, 2008

Art, School, and My Stroke.

I've kind of been avoiding the subject, or maybe not, maybe it just never came up. Part of me that I really never used much of before the stroke is really dead now, or at least I think it is. I was in a former life a bit of an artist. Now, with my right hand not quite what it was, not so much.

Why am I even talking about this? I saw an article the other day and in it was one of my high school counter parts. You can check him out here, if so inclined. He started the 365 project. Basically take a picture of something (for Stephen, it was himself) everyday for a year. Interesting concept is it not? Though I think a bit narcissistic, but that's just me.

So anyway, I took art in high school, for all 4 years of it. It was probably the one moment I looked forward to. I was as it was said "artsy fartsy". It was my only real reason to like school. And if I was a bit smarter I would have gone to college and majored in some kind of art degree and got a job doing something kind of artsy. But I instead joined the Army, saw the world, and basically became a member of our tax paying society.

Which has served me pretty good up to this point. Though I guess I'll always wonder what could have been. And now 1 year further along with my stroke I wonder if I would be out of a job now. Or at least be struggling. Starving artist sales are just one of the reasons I thought that getting in to the art scene, was not really my taste.

But seeing an old high school friend make it in the "business" makes me pine for it again. Or maybe just search for my own way to mark my spot on society. I guess this blog will have to suffice. I have a picture that I've been working on for years, not that I've been actively working on it, but maybe one or two days a year. Dare I put the pencil to paper again?

No comments: