Saturday, June 7, 2008

Roku Netflix Movie Player

I still don't have a movie for you, but I did just get what I think, is the best thing ever. It's the Roku Netflix movie player. Basically it takes a movie I would have watched on my computer and makes it available on my TV. So literally I now have instant access to hundreds if not thousands of movies. Now it does not have the most recent movies, and there is a difference in the video quality, but those are a small price to pay. Would I want to watch a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings on it? No, but classics, TV episodes, and anything else that tickles my fancy? You bet.

I have a 47 inch, projection tv, about 5 years old, and I only watched the beginning of Strange Brew and Steel Magnolias and I can say that my wife didn't notice at all and I could just barely notice it looking kind of blocked up in certain parts. Oh yeah, the price is just $99.99. It can look a little blocky for that. This isn't made for the high definition, audio/videophiles of the world. At least not yet. This really is just a stepping stone to a new way of viewing TV. Pretty soon I can see us using cable for the kids and that's pretty much it. But even then, what if my kid is screaming for the Wiggles or My Little Pony? When I make a movie review post, you can go and watch it right now. I really think this is the way we're moving. Instant Gratification. Don't you love it?

No comments: