Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Beaufort County School District's Summer Institute

Sorry to interrupt the comic, but I have to say something that's getting to me.

My wife has been going to school this week, part of the Beaufort County School District's Summer Institute. It's a good thing, not that you'd know it if you look in the local paper (Bluffton Today) because what is Front Page to the Island Packet is just a minor by-line in the "daily wipe". Why is it like that? I think, and I can only guess because I'm not in the newspaper business, it's because one person didn't know or care or forgot that this was happening. In fact the one picture that says "Sizzlin' Summer Institute" isn't even correct. Shameful if you ask me, mislead, misdirect and misinform. God I hope nobody thinks they're reading actual news in that rag.

You can read about what they're doing here. It is pretty big, like 700 teachers, so you'd think that it might be important. It is in The State, which granted is a sister paper of the Island Packet, but still. The institute is going on all week at Bluffton High. Everyday they have a keynote speaker and after that person finishes speaking, they then break up into some 45 different groups, depending on what you want to learn about. It's kind of like a conference without all the travel, hotels, and drinking afterward.

Back to the comic... and here is another one for your trouble, aimed squarely at the people who bring you "news".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Pic. Dare I guess who it is? I know who it LOOKS like...except you'd never catch him apologizing for his employees' incompetence nor his own, merely excusing it and justifying it over and over again...

So typical... one learns to expect absolutely nothing from these non-directional simpering simpletons, and then one is never disappointed. If terrorists blew up Columbia, The State would regroup and print a full,incisive story long before BT ever did... unless they blew up the Animal Shelter.