Monday, March 30, 2009

The Weekend

I always had dual lives, even and especially when I was a child. When the weekend would come around, all my friends would disappear, I was going to my dad's house. Every weekend he would come and get me. He has never missed a date. I think that's commendable. But there is a backside to that story. My mother worked Baylor shift, that is weekends and attended school during the week. So while I thought my dad loved me and everything, it turns out that my mom did too.

While I was playing and having a good time, my mom was working and going to school. Not that I shouldn't have had fun, I was just a kid. But again the dual nature of me is a little skewed. With time I see the difference. But then again, I don't want to take away from what my dad did... or didn't do. He was there for me, and he made it known that no matter what he would continue to be there for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was loved, but in different ways by my parents. And all of this is kind of hard for me to explain, because now I have kids, and I want to show them that I love them, But I'm trying to love them in both ways. And that doesn't always make it out, the right way.

I try to reason and sympathetically feel for them like my mother, but at the same time let them grow, knowing I'll always be there for them like my father. I'm sure everyone goes through this, it's just two different loves, and they are not the same, but the love is there. So which kind is it going to be? Nobody knows...

No comments: