Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Maybe it is just time to change assholes...

I'm a little put off by the "outpouring" of sentiment to anyone and everyone at the local paper. I thought one person in particular would be welcomed to leave, instead we find all kinds of sob stories in place. I just don't get it. But I am a hard ass at heart.

I've been called names, I've been shouted down as "not being organized", or labeled basically as an insensitive hack. Well who's still here? In the beginning, they were supposed to give normal everyday people a voice. That never happened. They promised, but couldn't deliver. And all that was forgiven. Or at least I decided to go on my own here... and let them do whatever on their own.

Not that I was a leader of anything, or had stock in that company or anything like that.... because I didn't, but they offered the opportunity to speak my mind, and for the first few years I took them up on it, and offered a fairly balanced commentary. Well, until a year or so ago.

Now they've run into some trouble. And it really doesn't have a whole lot to do with the economy. Sure it has been exacerbated by it, but it is not the root cause of it. And suddenly we're supposed to feel sorry for them? I would hate for anyone to lose their job, be it from the newspaper or hospital or fast food, but seriously?

I feel bad, I guess, but not all that bad. Bad like I hate that this situation has to happen, but does it? Everything happens for a reason. Maybe it's because somebody is an asshole and you need to get away from said asshole, or maybe the asshole is the one who gets canned or maybe there just needs to be a new kind of asshole-iness. Looking at things from that perspective, it's really not so bad is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, MH, after the post about Holquist, I didn't look at the forum. I should have. What a pile of unmentionable soft soaping BS, esp the post 'fromthepub".

What is really happening is that the whole "free paper" idea was a typical liberal BS ideal of 'something for nothing"- i.e., make someone else pay the bills.

It simply couldn't last, because when the housing bubble popped and the 'hidden' financiers had to start raising taxes and dealing with the real fiscal outcomes of the artificial developers' hype, BT's funding went away. Morris was stupid to fall for it and now has to cover their ass and tracks, all the while insipidly pretending that it is the economy's fault, not the fault of their own stupid choices and mouthbreathing gullibility.

Citizen reporting? They NEVER intended their paper to do that. All they wanted was for people to discuss the emotional angst and ennui of their simplistic and overrated lives, so that the editorial staff could feel edumificated and soooo superior, and express those feelings in print and on the 'Net. Now they have been bitten firmly in the ass and don't know how to deal with it other than to continue to be pompously insisting that the Emperor is SO wearing clothes, so there so THERE SO THERE!

Anyone else hear the sounds of a toilet flushing?

It's really pure-D HELL to always be right. But so damned funny nevertheless.