Monday, March 2, 2009

Not Schools

I have thought about becoming a teacher, mostly because my wife is a teacher and so we would have all that time off together. But alas, it would mean a lot of school for me... and a cut in pay. So I would have to pay to go to school, and then take less money. I don't think I could/would/should do it if just one of those things would happen. Well, after this week in the news, I don't think I want to be a teacher anyway.

County teacher on leave after shooting student with Nerf dart Oh... My... God. It figures. I guess. The kid that bitch slapped the teacher is the reason why the schools in Beaufort County are failing. And the mother who is suing the school district only exacerbates the problem. She's got to get hers, right? I mean there are so many things wrong with this story, I just can't begin to fathom.

Son's trip to N.Y.C., alleged help from school officials baffle Bluffton dad
Where do I begin? Probably with the assistant Principal. Someone is not telling the truth. The student, the father, and the school employees are all liars I think.


Salary study falls short in explaining inequities So if all that wasn't enough, this just blows my mind. If the powers that be don't find anything out, why would or could anyone else?

School is just not the nice place we all would like to think it is...

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MH:
I am married to a high school teacher, and I can speak from (her) experience that it's NOT the schools you or I attended these days, that's for sure.

I also thought about teaching, but if some kid took a swipe at me, and I wound up breaking his arm is 2 places, that might not be considered "getting a better education", would it?
He WOULD learn from the experience, though (as I got sued out the butt).

It's way too "PC" for me...

Tossing all the money at the SYSTEM, when it's the FAMILY that needs fixing FIRST.

ALL the educational funds won't mean a hoot or holler in hell unless you have kids coming from a FAMILY that has a VALUE system in place with accountability, personal responsibility, integrity, ethics, and some level of morality.

But that's just *my* opinion.

Aunt Bea said...

I think that's a pretty good opinion - and summation - Bob G.

Your wives would think they had died and gone to teacher-heaven if they worked at the school I work for now...

No drugs, no day-care, no pregnant teens - and the parents are brought in on every disciplnary action. No gangsta-wear, no gangs, no threats on teachers permitted. Everyone says, "That can't be REAL, it's Pollyanna, you just don't see it!" - but trust me, it IS real. And it is a PUBLIC school. It CAN be done - as long as the teachers aren't hired as babysitters or as some principal's buddy, but to TEACH. It does exist - but will NEVER exist there, because no one is willing to step up to the plate and demand accountability.