Saturday, October 25, 2008

Off Into The Woods

I was completely out of my mind for doing it, hell my daughter had flip-flops on, but sometimes you just have to take a chance, live a little, take a different path. So I did, into the woods by my house, and man let me tell you it's thick in spots.

So thick and full of water it gets kind of scary when you think about it, especially when it's close to dark, you have to keep up with 2 dogs, and your daughter is wearing flip-flops. I didn't worry, I mean none of that stuff is me, so why worry right?

Well I wasn't, at least not for the first 3/4ths of the trip. We walked for what seemed like forever, it was about an hour all told. It was also in mostly wetlands, hence the water, but I was used to this, or I thought so anyway. As a kid, the same age my daughter is now (13) I would go into the woods for miles. Now those woods were a bit different, had a bit more elevation, but no guts no glory right?

So I'm running out of daylight, I'm in way to deep to turn around and go back, and I have more than just me to worry about. (plus I was on the phone with my wife who was bitching about the Poconos) I walk into this area which I believe is the way out and then I notice there is water all around us.

I curse, tell my wife I'll call her back, and consider turning back. But my daughter thinks her dog has found a way. I have to go back to get the other dog who is so NOT liking this trip, I tell my daughter to go up ahead (thinking she'll just turn around) but no her dog did in fact find a way out.

We were on the street that leads to my neighborhood, which is just how I planned it. I think I might have started something inside my daughter's head. There's nothing quite like the moment of being lost and finding your own way out. She may just take more trips into the woods...

No comments: