Thursday, October 9, 2008

Perfection

So I'm still wondering. Wondering about the economy, who's going to be president, and life in general. And not to be all philosophical but for me and my family, I think we'll be ok.

You have to look at it a certain way, just like anything else. We live in a house we never imagined we would ever live in... Yeah, it's probably worth less than when we bought it. We drive newish cars. My first car was 2 years my senior. None of the tires were the same, the transmission couldn't figure out what gear it wanted to be in, and it replaced a Dodge D50 pickup, which I wrecked (before I got my license... hence not really my first "official car) and broke my jaw. On just those two items we're ahead.

I grew up in a less than 1000 sq ft house. That only had 1 bathroom. My father's house was even smaller, a 2 bedroom 800 sq ft house, that at one time housed 5 kids and 2 adults. Three girls got one bedroom, the adults got the other, and me and my brother slept in the living room. I thought I was in high cotton, nobody ever had a TV in their room. But I did, if only I knew. My wife also comes from humble beginnings. She says her brother used to sleep in a glorified closet.

And when my father moved to Mississippi, I can remember when we were going to "upgrade" to a doublewide trailer. Literally we cut a hole in the side of one trailer, and another hole in the other one, and tried to match them up. There was winches and so forth involved. One come-along broke and almost squished me and my father. The whole back end of the trailer swung down, and I almost became an orphan and/or dead myself. Hard living I'd say. And that wasn't the only time something like this has happened.

When I look at that compared to what I have today. I got it pretty good. In fact, minus the whole 401k deal, I got it really damn good. Now that's not to say everything is hunky dory, because obviously it's not. But when you can take a picture like this and just laugh, I think it is going to be somewhat ok. Know what I mean?


No comments: