Saturday, October 18, 2008

Going on a Vacation

So this day kind of marks a distinction in my marriage. My wife leaves today for her family's house up in Pennsylvania. She'll be gone a week. We've not really been apart that long before. I have gone on business trips and she's been on school trips, but never have we been apart for a week under these circumstances... vacation.

It's good that she is spending some time with her family, her last under year-round schedule. We just like any other modern family are spread thin. My parents in Louisville and Mississippi, hers in PA with a brother in east-central KY. We could easily spend all of our vacation just going to various family's houses.

So at least we get one knocked out, though honestly I like my in-laws and I like that part of the country, so there is a part of me that feels like I'm missing out. But I have a middle schooler that has to be in school, and the real reason I can't go, I still have no vacation time and it will be at least 4-6 more months before I do. So I sit this one out.

My 2-year-old will get to experience (though likely won't remember it) fall, the leaves changing color, and all that stuff. And I (and my other daughter) will likely do much of nothing. The two and a half months I took off last year, hardly seem worth it now, but at least in a few more months it'll be paid off in full... with no help from anyone else...

No comments: