Monday, September 15, 2008

In Trouble Again

Today my oldest child turns 13, a good thing for the most part. But some things have happened that tarnishes the shine on that entry into teendom. Today also marks the beginning of her 5-day suspension from the bus. She got caught, along with 3 boys and 3 girls vandalizing the bus seats. I can't tell you how mad I am right now.

The whole thing stinks. It stinks that I have to be mad at my daughter while she has a birthday, it stinks that she would stoop to this behavior, it all just really, really stinks. My wife, under duress, is going to take my daughter close to school... she is not going to get in that madhouse traffic jam. But since it is the start of the day I think it is in everyone's interest that she start off ready to go. She'll get no such quarter at the end of the day.

It's approximately 3.5 miles from the school to my house, and she'll be walking every step of it. I hope that will be enough to make sure she doesn't do anything like this again. Plus she has to pay me $50, because I have to pay First Student to recover one seat. I hope it's nice and hot, and I hope she thinks about how much better life was on the bus, instead of walking. I hope, but I don't know.

Happy birthday, for whatever that's worth, you're starting your teens not so good, hopefully this will be the only time such a thing is needed.

Edit/Update- I took the walk myself... because I'm worried about the walk. I think she'll be fine, myself not so much. It sucks being old and decrepit. Oh well...

2 comments:

"P. B." said...

Oh dear. Well, maybe keep in mind that the 10,000 steps a day recommended to lose weight is more than 3.5 miles. So unless she doesn't stay hydrated, she'll likely be OK. When I was a kid....(you get the idea)

Sorry you spoiled your own birthday, G***, "you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences." Learn from it.

Bob G. said...

To steal a quote from BATMAN BEGINS:
"Why do we fall sir? So we can better learn to pick ourselves up".

In that there is truth.

B.G.