Monday, September 8, 2008

School Improvement Council

I decided to go to my daughter's school's SIC just to see what, if anything I could do or say to help. I haven't gone yet, it's tonight but I do want a kind of before & after kind of view. It's a South Carolina thing, you can see the web site here. Basically I hate fundraisers, my wife says that is not what SIC is (that's more or less PTO's) so already I'm interested.

What I do fear is that any recommendation that is not from the school or district will be overlooked, but I'll reserve judgment until I go to the meeting. How does this group actually improve schools? I'll have to wait until the meeting to find out. So look for a report, in the next day or so to see if there's anything that can be done and what that might be.

1 comment:

WileyCoyote said...

$5 says it is a political tool to do three things -
1) make the parents who attend feel oh so important and listened to;
2) make the school appear to care about what parents think and feel about their children's education;
3) give the parents who attend a feeling of superiority over those who do not... which also give the school and School Board an 'out' when they say, "See, we just can't get enough parental support to make the changes you say you want!"

Yeah, I'm cynical...