Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The SIC, part 2

Ok so I went to the School Improvement Council last night. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. How much can we really improve? So far it looks like they can offer different/better lunches, but my child brings her lunch from home... so that is a wash. Let me just back up for a moment.

Other than the Principal I was the only male in attendance. I hate to sound sexist or anything, but at the same time the women, who were not there because of work (i.e. teachers), all seemed like the stay at home mom kind, and don't have much to do throughout the day. There was also a contingent of honor roll/gifted and talented there. This was just the first meeting, so I could be wrong, but one subject kept coming up.

On the first day of school, a special Ed kid had inadvertently or accidentally brought a fishing knife to school. Somebody at the school called the Bluffton Today and told them half the story... that there was a knife, not that it was a special Ed kid's fishing knife. Anyway it ran like wildfire. Which is fine, the school was trying to catch whoever (they did not know it was a special Ed kid yet) so they were trying to keep a lid on the story until they caught the kid... the big, scary, special Ed kid. Whatever. Because of "zero tolerance" laws and such the kid will have to deal with all kinds of court hearings and the like. Ah rules.

So anyway this meeting was a meeting about future meetings. I'm really trying to stay optimistic here, can you tell? Things were brought up, and people were then calmed down, pretty much. Now they are looking for people who will throw their name into the ring to be elected. My wife and I have decided if we are going to go to these meetings, we have to be one of the elected. But who? My wife has SIC experience, is smart, and is probably way more qualified. I am a man, which is about the only thing I have going for me other than my daughter going to school there.

Decisions decisions...

2 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

You're a man, you'll get in easily.. unless they find out that you were/are the ubiquitous Mad Hatter. Or maybe they'll let you in anyway, as a coup - "See, he's one of US now!" Welcome to the token world.

I SWAR, MH, if you become a Sarahclone it will break my heart... SWELP me, if you giggle I'll come back just to whomp up on you! LOL

Mad Hatter said...

I will let my wife handle all of that. I have no stomach for that kind of thing anyway. No worries WC I'm not turning anyway. LOL