Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Man Vs. Woman

How do I, a man, come to grips with my wife's wants and needs? What I mean is, how do I act or actually become more interested in what she likes? Case in point, TV. My wife has been transformed by me in what we watch, she likes watching races and even football (sometimes). I on the other hand, haven't really picked up any of her viewing habits. Tolerate maybe, but actually like? No not really.

So I'm struggling with this. I want to be as appealing and accepting to my wife, but I don't want to compromise myself or fake anything either. My wife has been pretty understanding in all of this, much of the time we simply turn the TV off. Which isn't a bad thing at all, but still. I come off as a juvenile liking things that pretty much include, bathroom humor, fart jokes, gross stuff, and sports. Typical "man" stuff.

Can I be more patient on the things she likes or is it a lost cause? Anybody out there got some hints for me?

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

That's exactly WHy we have two TVs...
My set (in the living room with the better stereo separation and all the DVDs), and "her" set in the family room.
She can't 'get into" Stargate...or the HISTORY CHANNEL (unless something related to LATIN comes on like Roman society) or even car auctions on SPEED channel.
Whereas, I can't "get into" QVC, HSN, or the SOAPNET channel...
but we find some comon ground once ina while (NCIS, Criminal minds, and once in a while some (cartoons/anime)
Aside from that...we live and let live.
...But there is always those board games we have collecting dust...!
When it comes to being patient...no, we can't.
But yes, we can be tolerant.
And chalk it up to being human.

B.G.

WileyCoyote said...

I don't do too much TV. I have my set upstairs in my bedroom; the only time I watch it is when I am feeling puny anyway.

DH watches "his shows" in the AM and the evening. Sometmes I join him, sometimes not. Usually I am busy with my ceramics, my cutting board, my garden, my baking and cooking and creating.

He used to feel really guilty about watching his TV while I did other things. He started following me around, which messes up my concentration on my projects. We finally agreed that we each deserved our 'space'. Now he doesn't feel guilty about doing his thing, and I don't feel guilty about doing mine. After all, when he CAN do things he does them, and does them well. We are a team, but that doesn't mean we have to be all up in each other's armpits. If either one of us needs a cuddle or attention, the other one will turn off the TV or drop what she's doing. The other nite we turned off the TV and I laid in his lap while he stroked my hair, and we talked... As long as you do not neglect each other's needs, you can respect each other's interests and desires, even and especially if they are not your own.