Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Randoms

The LowCountry Institute is doing their master naturalist class again this year. My wife was in the first one, then the stroke happened. So she's at it again and hopefully this time nothing bad will happen. They picked up with salt marsh ecology. They learned about the form and function of various animals such as crabs. The group walked down into the muddy intertidal zone looking for periwinkle snails and mussels. After lunch, they discussed watersheds and the results of development and then went out to a dock to take a peek into the world of arthropods and sponges who'd attached themselves to it.






I ate myself silly Sunday afternoon we went down to Vinnie Van GoGo's for lunch. 3 pizzas and a picture of beer, and a girly beer for the wife. $60 with a tip. And we had some to take with us when we left (for dinner). That was the only time I ate all day. and it fed two other adults and 2 kids. It also made my blood sugar act stupid. Pizza always does. Which brings up something I can't stand. Let's say I eat 100 carbs of normal things, like potatoes but it is nowhere near the same if I eat 100 carbs of pizza. I don't know how to fix that, other than avoid it altogether, yeah right.

My daughter, the big one, sort of got back on the bus (after vandalizing it) but not really. She went out Saturday and washed a few cars, but is still $10 short. Now I would let her ride if she promised to make the rest of the money later, but she lied, as she always does, and so I am making her walk some more. Maybe the message will eventually get through to this kid, but my money is on her turning legal and then she is somebody else's problem. Not that I don't love her, because I do. It's just that you can show her the right way to do something and yet she decides to veer off the path anyway. She may be walking all year.

I hate to end things on a sour note, but the kids, and I say kids even though they are adults, but kids because their mom and dad bought them a house (they live on the island) and so even though one of them has a kid already and the other goes to college... they seem to be not so neighborly as we are often woken up and such late at night. And the last straw... somebody left a half empty beer can in my yard. I don't really know what to do, but I suppose the law will. Maybe I could send my daughter to live with them.

No comments: