Thursday, January 22, 2009

Old Sheldon Church Ruins: A Photo Blog


We wanted to do something last Saturday, we thought we were going to the oyster roast in Port Royal, but it was too cold for that. So instead we went to Yemasee. What's in Yemasee you say? Well the Le Crueset outlet for one thing, and old Sheldon Church.


It's a bit of a drive, and it was cold, but we could get out of the cold by simply jumping back into the car, we bundled up and went on in. I have to first say that my wife, being Catholic and a bit superstitious thinks there are ghosts around. She says her little prayer, makes the sign of the cross, and we're off again. I think the whole thing is cute, she is serious though, so I acknowledge her healthy respect of the dead.


I could go on about how cool it was, but why not show you instead? Sheldon Church was burnt down... twice. In the Revolutionary War and the Civil War. Also there are graves around the church, dating back to the 1700's. If you live around here, you really ought to go see it. We went when it was freezing cold, I've also been in the Spring/Summer... and been eaten alive by biting insects. Snot nosed or bug laden, the choice is yours. Or you can vicariously live through the pictures here...





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to go out to the ruins for a long time now. I just need to do it!! Great pics- thanks for sharing.