Friday, January 30, 2009

Classic Film Friday: Dimples

Mrs. MH here. I was "caught" watching a classic film while MH was busy doing something else. So, now of course, I'm tagged with the responsibility of writing about it. What's that they say about teachers? Oh yeah...when it began to snow during the school day one time, all of the children began to run to the window to "ooh" and "ahhh". Just then, Johnny yelled, "Stop, don't do it! The teacher will make you write about it!" And yet, here I am. :)

I've been in love with Shirley Temple movies since I was a child. I used to curl up on my grandma's couch and watch them just about anytime they were on. Of course I saw the popular ones like The Little Princess, Curly Top and Heidi too many times to count. But then, here it is to my surprise, a Shirley Temple flick I've never seen. Or at least don't remember seeing. And it was on the Roku (which if you haven't noticed my husband is in love with). So I settled in to watch it.

In this 1936 film, Shirley plays Dimples, a talented street performer who is basically exploited by her grandfather , Professor Appleby played by Frank Morgan, so that hey may cash in on his sticky finger occupation. In the middle of it all, she befriends Mrs. Drew, a lovely, lonely older woman who also happens to be rich. The woman tries to convince Professor Appleby to part with the little girl for a the sum of five-thousand dollars. He wavers back and forth and somehow gets caught up in owing money eventually leading him to give her up for the money after all. It goes around and around and in the midst of it all, Shirley ends up starring in a theatrical production of Uncle Tom's Cabin which is where it all comes to a head. The theatrical production does include "black face" actors which was indicative of the time. This was a sweet movie that is somewhat typical of the Shirley Temple movies I was accustomed to watching where the down and out, troubled little girl, finds her way to happiness. That and singing and dancing...all good stuff in my book!

Warning: The end of the clip might be a bit of a spoiler to how it all ends.

No comments: