Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sweet Tooth

I have a bit of a problem. This time of year, there is all kinds of food, and for me each little bite means a shot. Because I'm a type 1 diabetic, that is, my pancreas doesn't work anymore so I have to plan what I eat and give myself the proper amount of insulin. I try to account for myself and keep my blood sugar between 90-120.

Add to the fact that I can't seem to make any sense of what I eat and how it affects my blood sugar. That's to say, I can eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and it make my blood go up only slightly while other days that same sandwich may have a serious impact. Why? I wish I knew.

So that leads me back to this time of year. The time of snackin' out. It's crazy. But I'm almost over it. That is, I don't know if I care anymore. I'm not saying I'm just going to die or anything, but I just can't keep up with every cookie, candy, or carbohydrate. It makes no sense. I want to be good, but at what cost?

My sanity and my sweet tooth is worth something too. Probably not as much as me going into a diabetic coma, but still.

No comments: