Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sitting in a Chair

Sitting in the barber's chair, the lady asked me why was I gone so long. I took maybe a month or more to get a hair cut from when I normally do. My hair was long, so at least she didn't think I went somewhere else. Which is exactly what I was thinking. There's been a place or two that have opened up closer to the house. But it just so happened that I was in the neighborhood and I needed a haircut, so I stopped in.

No big deal... to me, but what about to her? I realized then that it's not just me that's dealing with economic strife, she is too. She by talking to me, cemented a bond between us, not saying that I won't go any place else, but I'll try harder to make it to her place. That's crazy right?

I often find myself just watching. Watching the people around me muddle through the day. Like at my daughter's daycare. I sat in the car as my wife went in to get our littlest. I wonder what all these people do. There seems no shortage of them. And this is a question I've asked a 100 times before. What line of work are you in? Me? I'm in the medical field... kicking and screaming, it's not a thing I would recommend. But I guess you could say that about anything nowa' days.

Where the hell are all these people working, and how are they making it? We can barely make it on 2 incomes that average out to about 50K a piece. And we don't have credit card debt or anything else.... besides a house and a car payment. I just don't get it.

But I sit and I watch... all kinds of people doing all kinds of things, none specifically interesting or unique, just existing. Sometimes funny, other times... not so much. Maybe I'm just born to wonder why.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MH:
We're all pretty much born to wonder...ANd that's a good thing!

Trouble is, not many of us DO it...we're too busy fretting over things we simply can't control (but would like to), or we're just trying to do 57 things at once.

Even I admit to being guilty in that regard from time to time. And after 56 years on this planet, you'd THINK I have that straightened out by now...LOL.

That's when I back up a few steps, breathe deeply and stop to take a good look around me...and take stock on who I am and what I have that makes me special (to myself or someone else).
And yeah, smelling the occasional rose doesn't hurt one darn bit, either!

B.G.