Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Do The Zoo

So I will, recount my trip to the zoo. I will say, that though I went alone, as in only adult, it was an experience. I would not or will not go again when it is so cold outside. We froze and had the zoo pretty much to ourselves for most of the trip. I also wouldn't recommend going just for the animals. The gardens really add to it, though when it's freezing outside, there really isn't anything too see in the garden section. We didn't go, mainly because it was so cold and we had a schedule to keep (my wife was in a meeting and we really didn't know when it would let out).

So we stuck to the animals. Besides being cold, did I mention that it was cold? A good time was had by all. The howler monkeys were especially active. They would do their thing until one of the monkeys would literally scream, like a person, like ahhhhhhh and they'd stop... for half a minute or so and start back again. It's hard to describe it with out making monkey sounds, but trust me, the monkey's went over big.

Due to the cold weather, some of the animals were not on display, like the Galapagos tortoise, the hippo, or the alligator. But we persevered. We saw the giraffes and zebras and ostriches and elephants and gorillas, plus all the indoor stuff.

But this cold stuff, I don't like it, at least not here. Maybe if I had a fireplace, or snow it would be different, but all we get is cold and damp. It's cold again today, but I see we may finally get back in the 70's later this week. As for the zoo... It was ok, but frigid. Most of the animals wish it would warm up too.



1 comment:

WileyCoyote said...

I do love the zoos - both the Columbia one and the Jacksonville one. We used to go to the FL one in the winter and walk around in shorts in February. The zoo trips were always the kids' favorites, cold or hot weather. Since SCEG puts up $500,000 of Christmas lights in the Cola zoo, I hear it is a real treat then, but we never went to see it. We used to make it a two-day trip over the weekend; one day for the State Museum and one for the zoo when we went to Cola.

I especially enjoy watching the black panthers PACE when there are small children outside of their enclosure...Bwahahahahahahaha!

I HATE monkeys, and always have. (My dad had one as a pet.) They are dirty and nasty and completely self-involved (like some people I could mention). But the lions and tigers and bears, oh, my! Love to watch them watch us.