Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What could be better?

Ok here is a very special blogger, and dare I say friend, Peach Blossom, or as I know her simply PB...

What could be better? A house that has been sitting on the market for six months, a reeeeeally enthusiastic emcee, a speed-dating event (for the HOUSE) and a 70's theme party. I see disco balls., and I'm guessing that the BeeGees will be popping up at any minute.

This clever olio (I do crossword puzzles) is the newest TLC entry in its Saturday night home improvement lineup. I guess the flipping thing is wearing thin. I think I've seen almost all of the TLC flip episodes as I struggle to decide about remodeling my house, so a new angle is probably a good idea. But I'm not at all sure about THIS angle.

I sympathize with everyone who is in a house-for-sale swamp. I'm definitely seeing the effects of the soft market on my street. Yesterday as I saw a cleaning crew entering a neighboring house, I realized that the house is now a short-term rental. That's the first one on my little cul-de-sac, where most homes are second or third places for people who live elsewhere, but are kept unoccupied. The new rental was on the sales market for a very long time, and finally sold north of a million, but I remember when it was just a regular home with only one master bedroom and no debt. It's been remodeled twice since the death of the lovely owner I knew well, and it has been vacant most of the time. I guess that spells i-n-v-e-s-t-m-e-n-t p-r-o-p-e-r-t-y and therefore desperation in a down market.

I thought The Learning Channel was supposed to promote ideas that might appeal to everyday people, but would the average seller go for the speed-dating plan, which includes staging, an open house, and then an overnight trial by someone who might want to hold a theme party to see how the house handles it? I don't know. Then again, I always have the option of remodeling and getting into the game too. Disco. Luau. Masquerade. Toga. The possibilities abound.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we should all keep in mind that the esteemed "peachblossom" used to be known as the bothersome "palmettobug."

Mad Hatter said...

Yes I know that too, just didn't go into it... Palmettobug or PeachBlossom, PB has some sense, life experiences, and knowledge to share with us all.

WileyCoyote said...

Unfortunately, PB, TV is now all about the glamour, the glitz, the confetti, the dance, and not about reality. I chat a lot with realtors on two blogs, and they are desperate - not just because of a slowdown in buyers, but because the sellers, even when faced with foreclosure, honestly and truly believe that they should get twice what they paid for a home because THEIR realtor told them so, when he sold it to them. What you are seeing is the hysterical response to the crash of the hysterical purchasers. Action instead of thought is the WalMart instant gratification theory of life.
:>), as much as PB and I fight and disagree, she does still have good observations. Sometimes!!! LOL And I am sure she feels the same about me!