Thursday, April 10, 2008

Stupid Kids

I just wanted to take a moment to kind of speak my mind/think things through. You know a lot of people seem to think that children are the end all and be all. I don’t think that at all, in fact my two have their moments, but they are not my sole reason for existence. I don’t really know how or why this happens or why we should think badly about someone who doesn’t think that kids are IT.

Again I’m not saying they aren’t good, but they certainly don’t deserve a lot of what they get. If we aren’t going to praise grandpa for killing Germans/Japanese or grandma for holding down a job or mom for doing the jobs that moms do, do we really do ourselves justice by putting kids in one giant basket?

My almost teenager could care less. Sure she likes what she has got and I’ve threatened to take it away from her (and she suddenly becomes a lot more helpful) but there is an element of spoilage there. My point is the kids should not be held to such a standard that we, the adults, can’t enjoy ourselves. I will not get a second mortgage so my kid can go to school or drive a new car. Maybe you might be able to afford it, but I look at it like this, I paid for everything, food, clothes, insurance, house…. Everything for however long they decide to be with me, they need to start paying for themselves sooner rather than later.

Does that make me an animal or a pool pooping miscreant? Maybe, but I’ve already determined that I will have something to show for my time on this little ball of mud, besides my kids. In the upcoming referendum they (the people all about the children) seem to think that tugging your heartstrings... mainly by saying what a crime it is that more kids are in mobile units (trailers) than in the actual school. Never mind that North of the Broad there are over 1000 empty desks, or that the Whale Branch High School will even further extend that "emptiness". Adjust the zones already. Kids are good, but they do not enslave me forever and they sure aint worth millions even hundreds of millions, not my kids or yours. Vote No...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally understand and you know I do.

I love my kids. But they are not the reason that I exist!

WileyCoyote said...

My kids... let's see. Rug rats, curtain climbers, a pain you-know-where. Smartazzes, wizeazzes, and rotten tot he core. Spoiled? Not bloody likely. Our daughter told off a boyfriend once - "Don't TELL me what 'you can give to me' or 'how lucky I'd be to have you'!! I remember sitting on the floor at night, rolling pennies so my dad had gas to go to work in the morning! I know what hard work is, I know what struggling is, and your self-satisfied arrogance based on your DADDY'S money does you no credit." Every once in awhile the kids DO "get it". And spoiling them and insisting that they are everything in the world - and that the rest of the world has to cater to them, pay for them, and endure them - is the mindset of the selfish, the self-involved, the self-righteous uselessness of pandering fools without purpose or reality. You go, MH. Life is more than raising a bunch of spoiled brats to raise even more spoiled brats. If Darwin REALLY ruled, they'd all be dead and cease to breed.