Saturday, April 3, 2010

You Don't Call, You Don't Write, You Don't Nuthin'

Ok as you may or may not know, I have 6 sisters and 2 brothers. That is a pretty big family, they are all half-brothers and sisters, but still. I always get a pang of regret or disappointment when I think about them, because for the most part, none of them talk to me. Why you might ask? Well I really can't say for sure. Some may not like me, or anyone else.

My family is kind of funny like that. Maybe everyone's is the same way. My wife has just one brother, and he calls her or she calls him maybe once or twice a month. I get nothing. You'd think the law of averages would kick in and I'd at least be contacted by one maybe two siblings. Not so much.

But then I start thinking, would I want to put aside that much time to talk to my siblings? I have almost nothing in common with any of them. Either I have the same father but not the same mother or the same mother but not the same father. Where as, they all have full brothers or sisters they can talk to. But I might be putting to much in that. From talks with both parents, they don't much communicate with each other either.

Life gets in the way. I remember growing up that we were always going over to family's houses on my dad's side of the family. Every big holiday, or just a regular weekend, we would have something to do with cousins, and whatnot. Now, not really. Meanwhile on my mother's side they didn't much want to do anything when I was little, but since I'm all grown up, they appear to be like my dad's side of the family was... so many moons ago.

I really can't say why I am not included, other than living so far away. But, still somebody should/could call. Of course I have no idea what we would talk about. I mean what is to say? I might as well talk to a complete stranger. I went into the Army before my 18th birthday... and never really looked back since. I wish it was different, but everybody has to play the hand they're given. From here, I need to stress the importance of being a family to my kids, and hope that they don't make the mistakes of my siblings.

1 comment:

"P. B." said...

We're talking Dr.Phil territory here, or maybe Dear Abby, the point being that enough families have such "issues" to create an audience. It's probably not about you or anything you've done or not done. It's more likely about how people feel about themselves. I think family distance (or discord) gives you a choice: to decide how much time and energy and emotion to invest in relationships. You know that some will pay off and some will not, kind of like growing vegs. IMO the worst choice is to try set your mind on the necessity of certain relationships. You can live well without communicating with some people. Trust an old lady on this. :>)