Monday, March 15, 2010

Labels

This thing kind of got my blood boiling. You can see it here. Yes, yes, I know. Number 1 I'm not supposed to go there (by my own volition). But number 2 why do I even care? Well I don't really, but it is always funny to see who gets called out, who runs, who fights, who stammers off... who does what I guess.

I can't for the life of me understand, how anyone is going to get any money out of a blog, but there are all kinds of people, so I guess you never really know. Why someone would go asking for some help, for a van, is beyond me. I just can't fathom it. But just because I can't understand it, doesn't mean it is not so.

It turns out this is a real person, with a real disabling problem. I don't know if it warrants a wheel chair accessible van. Help, sure... maybe not a van though. I find it somewhat funny, that we are expected to provide, something. I mean look, the girl has gotten a bad hand, and for sure it is a shame, but how does that affect me, you, or anyone else?

I think BT or at least Mr. Tim Wood, cuts its own nose in spite of its face. It used to be a free paper, now it costs, which is weird, because Yahoo! started this news feed, and I never see anything from BT... but that is a whole nother' story. In fact I thought Tim Wood, who I used to like, now... I could take him or leave him. I think he let's his own "truths" get in the way of real journalism, but quite honestly, BT has been one human interest story after another... pretty much since it started.

So where does that leave us? Well the girl still needs a van, (though if she had one and then saw how much it costs for regular maintenance, gas, insurance...which Medicaid won't pay for, it would probably take the shine off of that "want") and bloggers are left wondering, why, and how did this happen, and are left generally confused. I feel though I didn't participate, like I just got sent to the office, like I was a kid again, off to see the principle. But really, I shouldn't nor anyone who actually did participate in the blog be forced to feel bad. Even if Tim Wood said "The rest of you are pathetic little people." Well, maybe to Tim, but many of us people would be tiny next to Tim anyway. I'm just saying.

I don't blog because I have a large sum of money, and I'm looking to get rid of it. I wish, but I don't. I could use a van, or maybe just write me a check for whatever and I'll take care of the rest (make all check payable to cash). No need to worry about what may or may not be good for me... just give me the money dammit!

Now I'm not trying to say anything about this particular girl, I don't even know her. But you take what sounds like a good idea and bring it to fruition, and suddenly it is not such a good idea anymore. I don't think they will keep up with the bills, maybe they will, I don't know. I know this person is suffering, and that is bad. But that doesn't mean you pick on the pathetic little people, A.K.A. bloggers just like you don't pick on what this person has either. And we have the BT to thank for it all. Kinda, sorta'.

What I am trying to say is this. Never be too quick to tell anyone, be it blogger or someone putting themselves out there asking for bloggers' help how pathetic they are, because you just never know who or what you are labeling.

8 comments:

WileyCoyote said...

EVERYbody suffers. I have never heard you ask for sympathy or help, and God knows, as do your friends and family,that you deserved both, needed both, at one time.

I have lupus. DH is crippled, cannot work, and had to take early retirement. We had two choices - stay where we were and hope for the best, or change our attitude and latitude, go for what we had always wanted, and grab whatever remaining life we had and wrest it to our advantage. I won't tell you what living with lupus is like, or what living with a formerly funny, intelligent, hardworking, once wonderfully kind and gentle man is like, now that he is on so many pain meds that he falls asleep sometimes in mid-sentence. Why? Because that's not important. What IS important is that we made up our minds to improve our own lives, live them as WE choose, and not beg for help or pity from anyone. Relying on "the kindness of strangers" may work for some, but not for us. Or you, either. Hugs to you, Ry. We are tough old birds and we WILL survive, without throwing ourselves at others to garner attention or pity... or a new van. Whatever you and I need, we'll get for ourselves, TYVM. Or tough it out and do without.

Mad Hatter said...

Yeah, that is sort of what I was thinking too. I mean I think life is everything that doesn't kill you. Lupus, or accident, or stroke, or a myriad of other stuff, you have to deal, or you wind up dead. It is a cold, hard way to look at things, but true all the same.

Alex said...

Ahhh you tricked me into reading those blogs again. So aggravating. I still can't believe how unaware certain BT folks can be...there's a steady dose of criticizing bloggers -- people who are doing exactly what BT wants/expects/needs them to do.

Mad Hatter said...

I don't think any of the reasons BT came into being, is remembered or cared about by the folks at BT. Yeah I know, I shouldn't be going there either.... but it is hard not to... even if you know you would never morass yourself down in that mess again...

Aunt Bea said...

I found it all quite amusing; the extreme guilty give-it-all-away liberal who has learned her lesson that not everyone is as pathetic as they appear; the cautiously inquiring person who gets insulted; the youngster who gets slapped around - and the typical holier-than-thou know-it-all who comes in at the end and assures people that they are all bungholes and HE is the only decent person in the group. Gawd I miss that morass of self-serving pompous idiocy - NOT. :-0

Mad Hatter said...

I thought you might want a glimpse of where you came from WC. You know you love it LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oyster here as Anonymous- (because I couldn't figure out the google account indentity thing).

After all the discussion and controversy it turns out she had an aunt in Texas who is going to give her a handicapped van she owns but has not been using for couple of years. Maranatha is going to pay another Texas relative with an auto shop to make repairs and the bbq fundraiser will be to buy them insurance.

I'd say "don't you people talk to one another enough to realize that someone else in the family with the very same disease could maybe use that van sitting out there in the garage?" But if it was my family I could see the same sort of thing happening.

Strange it was kind of in her back yard all along and took a newspaper article to get things going. In that way the blog, "venom" and all, served a purpose, as in all publicity is good publicity. Many times those blogs seem like a set-up, at least on the part of BT.

Well I hope she does better but I still think she and her partner could use some good counseling to help figure things out. Sounds like a long haul having that kind of MS so early.

Mad Hatter said...

That is just crazy... so it goes from heartless bastards (bloggers) to family that didn't know... Yeah I'm so glad I took my writing ability elsewhere. lol