Monday, January 11, 2010

Who is Greener Than Thou?

On politicing and so forth. My recent trip to Kentucky, revealed some problems. There you have Mountaintop removal mining and we don't really have anything to compare it to. I mean I've seen the trains loaded with coal in Spartanburg... almost daily. There is nothing like that here. What would you do if your job depended on MTR? Also, there is much to be said about what happens once the Mountaintop is removed. On one hand you get environmentalists who say nothing will grow there and you have polluted the water with all of your fill, or the other you have land, that was otherwise unusable. My brother-in-law showed me all of the things... hospital, stores, restaurants, that would have never have found a home without MTR.

I think I lean more or less to the people who say without coal mining, they would have nothing. I understand that it has an effect, a very negative effect, but I like having cheap power, and I believe the people like to have a job. Otherwise, what would you do? Until some kind of alternative is made, I don't guess it really matters does it?

I'm not against the environmentalists. I'm just for people wanting to provide for their families. Could you have it both ways? I don't see why not, but it isn't there yet.

No comments: