Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Conch Christmas Present

What? Christmas... isn't that over already? Well my wife had one last Christmas present for me (she actually forgot to give it to me on Christmas... but since this is in the spirit of giving... I'll let it slide), it was a conch shell that has been turned into a trumpet. Well more accurately a horn.

If you have ever been on a cruise you've seen them, and probably heard them too. I went on a cruise for my honeymoon, which was about 5 years ago, and we saw them, and of course I wanted one, but it seemed rather silly, so I passed. Well for 4 & 1/2 years I've regretted not getting the conch horn. And my wife can tell you how much grief she has had to endure because I didn't get it the first time.

So fast forward to about 6-8 months ago (or is that rewind?). My brother-in-law and his wife were taking a cruise for their anniversary, my wife told him to get a conch horn, and viola... I have what maybe considered the best Christmas present ever (even better than the HD sunglasses).

So now I have to learn how to play it, or rather how to blow into it. I was trying to remember 1985 band class, in which my instructor is teaching how to blow into a trumpet/trombone/tuba. But that was nearly a quarter century ago, and I think (I could be wrong) me having a stroke may have something to do with it as well. I haven't found that conch sound yet. But in me trying to find it, I have scared the hell out everybody, and I have been called shenanigans... which now that I think about it, is one of the reasons I did not get the conch horn way back when...

No comments: