Monday, January 4, 2010

The Trip

So my epic trip from Bluffton to Kentucky, is forever ingrained in my memory... but not for anything that good:

I'll start out on my journey with what I'm now calling "the worst drive-thru food ever". We stopped at a Hardee's in Orangeburg. We should have just kept going. And it wasn't even our first choice, heck it wasn't even our second choice. But it was available, and so we stopped.

The burgers were ok, not horrible, not excellent, just blah.... But they did not have any fries... they ran out or something... I really don't know. Their chicken strips... were questionable. I'm not saying I ordered chicken and they gave me ham, but I am saying the chicken was suspect. Also the soda machines needed a recharge. Seriously, worst meal of all time.

The rest of South Carolina was uneventful, besides a little rain. Once we got into North Carolina, the rain turned into snow, and the snow got heavier and heavier. Then it turned to rain, then sleet, then snow again. It was not supposed to do that until the next day... according to the weatherman anyway.

It was all good, until we got into Virginia and we had a tractor trailer jack-knifed across the whole highway, (this was around Pound, VA). We took a back road, and were on our way again. Nothing more happened, other than driving on some questionable roads, but I think it is adversity like these things that make the trip memorable. Sure I could do without them, quite well actually, but there is no such thing as a trip without some kind of event happening.

Like the trip home, in which we left, it was 9 degrees outside, I don't care where you are from, that is cold. We made it all the way through the ice and snow and cold, only to be stopped before Walterboro. The I-95 jinx hit us again. The fix was in, I swear every time we go some where there is always a wreck on the way home. We wound up taking 17 home. Thank god for the GPS.

No comments: