Saturday, August 8, 2009

No More TV

TV as you know it. is pretty much a waste of time... I'm just saying what is painfully obvious really. Nothing on actual broadcast TV, even cable, is really worth your time. I used to not feel this way, but more and more I think I could do without TV. It breaks down like this...

If it is not on PBS or TMC (because they lack commercials) or some kind of sports, you might as well turn it off. That sounds pretty harsh coming from a guy who has a 54" TV in his living room, but it's true. I still watch movies on my TV, even via DVD player or Roku, and we use the TV for video games. But TV for actual TV... not so much.

And when you do just veg-out in front of the TV, nothing good ever, EVER on anyway. I heard on NPR the reasons why the proliferation of reality television shows, it's money. You don't have to pay nearly as much to Joe or Jenny off of the street, as you would for a real program, with actors and writers, and such. And where did all that time go anyway?

Maybe it's time to curl up with a good book or talk to somebody or get into a hobby or something other than watch TV... I mean really, that stuff rots your brain!

2 comments:

Aunt Bea said...

Here's my "reality" TV - Training Mules and Horses, The Joy of Painting (Bob Ross still cracks me up) Bronc Riding USA, and the Farm Report.

For entertainment value after a day at work - NCIS, Criminal Minds, Law and Order (the original and Criminal Intent), Bones, and Burn Notice. I can't help myself - I just love smart people and smartasses. Plus here they come on two hours earlier than back east, so my day can close early.

That's it. I get my news online from the BBC and Russian newspapers, because they're not biased about American stuff... plus they don't care about Michael Jackson, Britney, or Paris.

The rest of the time I'm working at my job, or working on the farm, inside and outside; everything from doing repairs, thru harvesting/planting and raising the chickens, to cutting wood for the winter. It's actually a lot more interesting than the reality crap, and all I have to do with my "actors" is keep them fed!

The last weekend in August I'll be butchering chickens. Blood and guts and thousands of feathers. THAT's reality.

Mad Hatter said...

I can remember killing the chickens with my grandmother, not so nice, but it was reality. lol