Sunday, August 9, 2009

Algae Eater

So I'm wondering, kinda like out loud... Can an algae eater live in the pond in back of my house? I know you kind of take a roll of the dice with the other fish, turtles, and birds eating it, but other than that... can it survive? We got an algae eater to clean up my daughter's fish tank, and it has, in fact it did its job too well, it doesn't have anymore algae to eat.

We went and got some algae pellets at the pet store, but it doesn't seem to like that so much. Also is there any kind of laws in where, you can't release an algae eater into the wild, for whatever reason? I'm really tempted to just let him go. There is plenty of algae in the pond.

But if I do, more likely than not the poor fish will last maybe 10 minutes, eaten by a bird or something, but there is that small chance it won't. And then the question is... what do I do when the fish cleans out the pond?

1 comment:

Aunt Bea said...

What're trying to do - create a Loch Bluffton monster?

Willing to be that the Loch Ness one was an algae eater once..

We had one that grew to be 4 inches long. Unfortunately he leapt out of the tank one day, and was caught in midair by the cat - who had been lying in wait for weeks...