Monday, August 17, 2009

Got a Headache?

I would not be alive right now if I said this healthcare debate that is running through the entire country didn't or wouldn't affect me. In fact it affects me greatly. And I really don't know which way to go on this subject, and I bet many people really don't know.

I work for a hospital, and that hospital is for-profit. Is that wrong? I mean is it wrong to make money off of sick people? That sounds so heartless, but many times it is the for-profit places that come and set up shop where non-profit just don't bother. And there would be a big hole in healthcare if all of the for-profit's closed up shop today (not to mention I'd be out of a job).

So lets say that it is fine to profit off of sick people. Just as it is ok to profit off of someone who is thirsty, or hungry, or who is seeking shelter, really, anything. So how much can you profit? Well that depends really, because not everyone pays their bill in full. So they charge the people who do pay a little (or a lot) more. Like they do in stores for shoplifters.

Don't think that I am going to side with the right, because I have been through this more than once, or even twice. In my life I have had 4 major hospital visits, plus a few other incidents like a broken jaw from a car accident and getting my tonsils out. On top of that my mother, along with me, work in heathcare, for a long, long time. I think it should be "free" as far as it is a public good, but nothing is ever free... nothing.

My mother says it really doesn't matter what is right or wrong, "they" are going to do whatever they are going to do. Well I do kind of agree with her on that. And I still don't really know much about the bill itself, other than it is really big, and it will likely change. So why is everyone going crazy about this??? Just in anticipation of what could happen? What might happen? What won't happen? It is all too much for me to wrap my head around, really. I think I'll wait `til later...

No comments: