Sunday, February 8, 2009

Daddy's Girl

I'm a sentimental old fart... or young fart, depending on how old you are. I have an old picture, the first to be electrified into a Jpeg in my case. It's of me and my now 13-year-old in the woods or rather mountains. She's about the same age as my almost 3-year-old is now. So that makes it 10 years old.

My how time flies. At the time, I was not diabetic, or a stoke victim or pretty much anything. I was young... and stupid, but we somehow made it out ok. At least I think so. Now if you look, you can see the little one has a big "cheese" smile, so much so that it took everything in me to keep a straight face myself. You'll also notice, that the little one is not very well kept and her shoes are atrocious. Partly my fault I guess, but again I was so very young in that picture. And maybe that's what is getting to me.



I had nothing to worry about in that picture, my biggest fear or worry was behind me, the Army, and life for the most part was fairly stable, regular work, didn't worry over things like I do now. For instance, I might be worried about how I was going to get to work, but I never imagined the work wouldn't be there like I do now.

Anyway, that's not really here or there... it just is, and I'm taking the time to enjoy it now. As long as I can keep from choking my big kid for all the things she does, or doesn't do. I won't be able to fully appreciate this for another 10 or 15 years, when she grows up and moves out. That time seems so far away. But I know it's really not.

Then we can both laugh at those dingy shoes, and wonder whatever happened to the clean shaven guy next to her...

2 comments:

Aunt Bea said...

Daaaang, son! You were a looker! Guess back then it was "stone fox"...

And your daughter was adorable.. but then, they all are at that age. It's when they get old enough to sneer at themselves in those old pictures, that one starts reserving them for blackmail, esp when the boys come over. "Wanna see what she looked like when..." BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Parents' revenge. Gotta love it.

Mad Hatter said...

I was so very young back then, pre-diabetes, pre-stroke, pre-attitude from the now teenage daughter, life was different back then. I don't even know who that was, but there is the picture, so it must have happened. Yes I plan on whipping out this picture and the naked bathtub ones too. lol