Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Stimuli

So everybody is talking about it. But what's it all about and is it going to work? I mean if you like the president, and voted for him then you may feel pretty good about the stimulus. If you don't, well then not so much. I think we have to do something, but the thing is, how do we know it is really working. I don't know of anybody that stands to profit from this stimulus bill... or any other. And that's the rub.

I know as far as teachers go, they are still cutting back. In fact, everywhere I hear they are cutting back. So what does this stimulus plan stimulate? I just don't know. On one hand, I see the Obama camp has got to do something, but on the other, I see a lot of "pork" too. I am caught in the middle, which I think is the "as usual" slot that I've been put in. The poor will always be poor and the rich will pretty much always be rich. The middle class will swing with the times.

I got a call from my dad the other day, he works for a company that makes automotive paint. He got laid off. Which is really nothing new. But he said he would go back to work in a few weeks, just long enough to where he doesn't get paid, but not long enough to collect unemployment. Nice huh? We all make sacrifices I guess, some of us make them unwillingly.

So here I sit hoping that me or my wife does not lose our job or anybody else really. Waiting for whatever stimulus we can get, not that we'll do anything, at least I don't think so... It would be nice to take a vacation or whatever but that isn't very realistic is it? And my 401k continues to be a negative on my retirement, that is, I doubt very much that I will see anything come out of it, but I still hedge 10% of my paycheck towards it, just in case I do.

Neither side of this really stands to win... or lose. It will just be, and no doubt that they are taking talking points for the next election. What's a guy to do?

No comments: