Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mardi Gras

You know today is Mardi Gras. It's been so long since I've been to a "real parade" I can't even remember. It is always an event, and something is always happening. Whether it's fights over worthless trinkets or boobs being shown or drunks peeing on god knows what or gay people having a costume contest. Really, anything and everything can happen (and usally does) durring Mardi Gras.

Lately I've seen other places, including Hilton Head, try to cash in on Mardi Gras. I've even seen other cities have a parade. But until you go to New Orleans, you haven't experienced anything like it. It is, to coin a phase they use around here a lot, a state of mind.

Since Katrina, and the economy in general, there have been many people from New Orleans that have moved and taken up residence elsewhere. and that may have something to do with why you see it almost everywhere now. But it's my opinion that it only dilutes the value of Mardi Gras. If you want the real thing, go to New Orleans. Here is the break down.

My favorite parade is probably Grela, whish is held on Mardi Gras day and is on the westbank, which is the bestbank... Yes I'm a westbank boy here. My other is Cleopatra which was also a westbank parade and it was at night, usually on Friday.

I don't know when I'll ever get to go to a real Mardi Gras parade again, but it is so much fun. We would play "parade" afterwards as children. Recatching our beads, before counting them up, seperating into dozens, and selling them back. That's what we did... way back when. Happy Mardi Gras yall! Get it all out of your system, because lent starts tomorrow.

No comments: