Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olympics

So... have you enjoyed the Olympics yet? Yeah, I really can't get into it. Maybe it is the southern boy in me, or maybe the Olympics isn't really all that. I mean I was sitting with the wife, actually I was half laying half sitting up in the bed, and I wondered what does the average Olympic athlete do with his or her skill set once the Olympics are done?

I came up with nothing really. Except maybe do some charity work and competing over in the European circuit... I really can't find anything. I know it takes much hard work and dedication to be an Olympic athlete, but I am wondering how these people live the other 206 weeks between the Olympics. I think NBC is missing out on showing these people or at least some of them. But maybe that is just me, or maybe if we looked we wouldn't like what we saw. Obviously, there is training involved, but how does the average guy (do they even think they are average?) make ends meet? Are they all just a bunch of people with cushy endorsement deals and contracts? Or do they have to struggle like the rest of us?

I really don't know. I looked, but couldn't find much on the internet. Maybe someone out there knows and would like to share... I do know that the "Gold Medal" is not solid gold. I got into a debate with my wife and we ended "googling it" only 6 grams of gold is required to be in the Olympic gold medal, while something like 95% silver is required to be in the silver medal. I have no idea on bronze, I guess it is pretty cheap, so no one worries about that. So Does anyone know?

No comments: